Saturday, August 31, 2013

Way Back Machine

A few days ago I was going through a box of old statistics teaching materials---of all things!---when I came across a copy of my high school literary magazine, dedicated to my mom and with the following letter in it (click to enlarge if the edge is getting truncated on your computer):

 
 
Observations:
  1. Wow, was I a self-absorbed, obnoxious, snarky little punk-rock-obsessed teenage twit!
  2. Even so, I was a pretty good writer and storyteller (more so in this letter, actually, than in the works published in the literary magazine I found it tucked into---I guess there is something to the value of writing in your own voice).
  3. Is it kind of sad that I signed off by telling my mother, "Call me if you're in town"?
  4. I wrote this on a typewriter.  Yes, I am that old----a fossil whose adolescence predates the digital age.

No comments: