Thursday, January 20, 2011

Vintage Sign Kit

I am going to do something new and try to participate in Coloradolady Suzanne's Vintage Thingie Thursday. In case I don't get it right, please bear with me; I am still learning about things like linky parties!
I mentioned this Thingie a couple of posts back; in fact you have seen it's handiwork right here on this blog. It's right here in this rough-hewn, stained little box. What could it be...?

It's a vintage sign-making kit from my great-grandparents' general store!


I love how it has these very detailed instructions for lining up your letters with the ruler on the lid...

I think this little cleaning brush that is in the kit is ivory, and there are also some vintage ink pads and a ruler. It obviously saw a lot of use and made many signs over the years.




Some of the rubber stamps have come off of the wood blocks, and I am wondering what would be a good way to repair them. I would like to use it to letter some handmade greeting cards.


Hope you liked seeing pictures of this "thingie" as much as I've enjoyed sharing with you!

10 comments:

Rika said...

Fantastic, love your rubbes stamps!

Grannys Attic said...

Hi Kathy, My mom has one of these in her attic that we use to play with. She got if back in the 60's when she bought a set of World Books (trying to help all 5 of us kids learn something). I am going to ask her tomorrow if I can have it. Great memories. Thanks for sharing, Vicky

Tammy said...

Those rubber stamps are really neat. I imagine making signs with them using ink would have been messy.

Sally Annie Magundy said...

What a fantastic find, love it!

Hope you enjoyed your VTT! :)

Sally

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Oh, my gosh, you are soooo lucky to have been given this, Kathy! I love it.

Thank you so much for stopping by to say hello today! I am putting your name in my contest drawing, which will be held on Monday.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kathy

Amanda Lee said...

You have a treasure! I love it!
~Amanda

Honey at 2805 said...

That this stamp set belonged to your grandparents really makes it a special treasure.

So glad you dropped by! Please come back and enter my $30 Gift Card Giveaway!

Anna Matthews said...

This is so much fun, and I love that it comes from family. From their General Store....that is so great.
Anna
Cottage6Studio

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Arent' those sets just too cool! I have a similar set. The only problem is the rubber on the stamps hardens over time and some of the stamps aren't usable but I love to just look at it. You are so fortunate to have the added bonus of "family heirloom". I just bought mine, no sentimental value here. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy,

I've been reading that you can restore the rubber using glycerin. I haven't tried it with my set yet, but I'll try it on one of the stamps I don't like. :D

I'd use gorilla glue to reattach the stamps to the blocks or E6000.