Monday, January 17, 2011

What did you do for your "day on"?


First, we got up at 6:30 to go to a fundraising breakfast for United Way to help the homeless in our community. It was at Longhorn Steakhouse, and boy, are their cheese grits and bacon yummy! Then, we had to come home and take a nap for a couple of hours! ;-)
Daddy spent the day alternating between watching little man and getting ready to go back to teaching high school drama after a week off due to snow and ice, while I worked on projects for the Autism Support Group I work with. I did some paperwork, including finishing the articles of incorporation and working on the first draft of the by-laws. Then, since tomorrow is the monthly meeting, and we won't be meeting in February, I put together a Valentine's arts and crafts kit for the support group kids, including stamps from my big rubber stamp collection, lace doilies, and vintage flower stickers.


Then, we made cupcakes for the support group kids and parents. I just used stuff from the dollar store (I do a lot of entertaining for kids, and I have found the local dollar store is a lifesaver for this kind of thing---kids don't need or want your best cooking efforts!), and some sprinkles I had on hand.

Ye Olde Cupcake Wrapper Tin


Anybody know a secret for keeping your cupcake wrappers from wrinkling when you put the batter in?

I had thought about dyeing the frosting pink, but got lazy and decided to go for plain old white instead. I thought it was maybe pushing things with the frilly Valentine's crafts and pink sprinkles, anyway, given how many little boys are in our group.



Voila! Not designer cupcakes, but they sure are going to make some very special kids very happy! Including one particular kid tonight---if he eats his dinner first!

No comments: